Friday, August 6, 2010

What A Chore!

I've always known that I dislike grocery shopping... In fact, "loathe" comes to mind. I never really knew why, but I think I've finally figured it out.

It's a major chore! Or, rather, a series of chores.

Consider the following:

Chore 1
Drive to the grocery store, and try to find a parking spot (arguably the most difficult step in the grocery buying saga)

Chore 2
Wander through the grocery store, trying to find the items that were there last week, but have since been relocated. Annoying???

Chore 3
With great care so everything fits, place all the gatherings into your shopping cart. You must perform this task while dodging and weaving around people who have no clue why they went to the store in the first place.

Chore 4
Unload the shopping cart. You must get the cart empty before the cashier runs out of room to place bags, otherwise, they will be on the floor. A tricky task, as the belt is narrow, and does not advance quickly enough to complete the first part of this chore effectively.

*Note to cashiers: No, I do not wish to explain to you why I bought that item. It's none of your business why I have the medical ointment. Yes, those cookies are good, otherwise, I would not have purchased them. It's really not your place to tell me they will make my butt big. I'm glad you have a cat, but I'm not interested in the kind of food it prefers, or that it just got over a bad case of worms. Just saying...

Chore 5
Load the shopping cart again. Nothing fits right this time. :-(

Chore 6
Unload the shopping cart / load the vehicle.

Chore 7
Unload the vehicle.

Chore 8
Carry the bags into the house, taking care to catch items as they rip through the bag.

Chore 9
Another big one here. Unlock and open the door using a combination of your mouth, 1 pinky, and your left foot.

Chore 10
Find a semi-permanent home for all the items.

Chore 11
Where do I put all these stupid plastic bags???

Chore 12
Begin working on next week's grocery list. (No, it never ends - it's a vicious cycle)

2 comments:

  1. it's definitely a tedious chore and a vicious cycle for sure! Try doing it with an infant in the front pack, a toddler in the cart and an 8 year old who keeps asking, "can I have this? Why not? PLEASE? I'll be good I promise, I'll stop bugging you if I can have it!" All while trying to console a hungry infant, a 2 yr old who missed a nap and trying to remember where exactly I placed the shopping list and why on earth did I choose this store! It was during this time that I made the mental note to not shop at grocery stores that also have a toy section!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow Sarah! I had no idea it could get so much worse!!! Now I have something to look forward to! Oh, great tip on avoiding stores with toys! :-)

    ReplyDelete